|Object/Mechanic||Purpose||Relationship to other objects||Player interaction|
|Player||To navigate the scene, shoot enemies and avoid obstacles||If the Player comes into contact with an enemy, obstacle or enemy projectile damage/death occurs.||To control|
|Enemy||A ship that tracks Player movement and attempts to shoot the Player.||If the Enemy is shot by the player it is destroyed.||To be avoided/destroyed by the player.|
|Obstacle||To add challenge to the obstacle/pickup dimension so that the tension is still continuous through the gameplay experience.||If the Player comes into contact with an obstacle, the Player is destroyed.||To be avoided by the Player.|
|Pickups||To replenish health and ammunition for the player so they can continue to shoot enemies and progress through the level.||If the Player comes into contact with a pickup its attributes are added to the to the Player e.g. Ammo+, Health+.||To be collected by the Player.|
|Dimension swap||Allows the player to swap from the Enemy dimension to the obstacle dimension or vice versa.||Affects collision with certain objects. Enemies and obstacles.||To be activated upon Player action when cooldown period has expired.|
|Obstacle Dimension||To give the player a way to collect ammo and health pickups while still adding a level of challenge to the Player.||Collisions only with obstacles.||To be swapped to by the Player so they can collect pickups and replenish ammo/health.|
|Enemy Dimension||The main dimensions that affects Player progression, enemies appear that try to shoot the player and for the player to shoot.||Collision only with enemies and their attacks.||Allows the Player to further progress in the game and destroy enemies.|
|Health/Ammo Bar||To display remaining/total player ammo/health as these resources are linked.||Affects the Player in regards to forcing them to manage health/ammo effectively. No relationship to game objects just UI.||Player to manage and rely on this resource.|
|Dimension cooldown bar||To display remaining time until dimension swap is next available for use.||No relationship to game objects just UI.||Player to watch this UI element to indicate if they can switch or not.|
We made a quick sketch of how we want an average level in the game to look. The left (Red) side of the page represents the obstacle dimension that the player can travel through and the right (Blue) side represents the enemy dimension. The player can switch between these 2 dimensions with the push of a button and maintains their position and momentum but can no longer interact with the objects in the other dimension. The player can collect health/ammo in the obstacle dimension and must avoid asteroids and space debris. They can only remain in this dimension for a short amount of time (represented by the bar in the top right hand corner of the screen) and are forced back into the Blue dimension when the bar is depleted. There are no collectibles in the Blue dimension but there are a number of enemy ships that fire at the player as they continue through the level. The player’s life and ammo are represented in the top left hand corner of each screen. They are a combined resource that the player must manage as they attempt to shoot down enemy ships without running out of health.
switch, avoid, shoot, collect, move, time, crash, die, explode, dodge, evade, traverse, manage, discover, control, aim, explore, stress, rage
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to collect health/ammo to shoot enemies and finish the level.
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to change dimensions to evade obstacles to survive.
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to change dimensions to dodge enemies bullets to survive.
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to shoot enemies to proceed through the level.
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to move around obstacles to avoid them to collect collectibles.
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to change dimensions to collect health/ammo to survive.
- As a player, I need to manage my dimension swap bar to swap dimensions effectively and avoid enemies and obstacles.
- As a player, I need to manage my health and ammo to defeat enemy ships without destroying myself.
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to avoid colliding with enemy spaceships as I make my way to the end of the level.
- Playing as a spaceship, I want to avoid colliding with obstacles as I make my way to the end of the level.